Extras din document
Textbook: Going for Gold Intermediate, Longman
Unit 8: Lifestyle
Type of lesson: Teachingreading and grammar (present perfect for indefinite past)
Skills: Integrated skills
Time: 50 minutes
- To help students identify the topic of a paragraph;
- To practise reading for gist and intensive reading;
- To help students understand reference;
- To present and practise the use of the present perfect for expressing actions that took place at an indefinite time in the past;
Teaching Techniques: explanation, whole-class discussion, pair-work, conversation, game
Materials: textbook, whiteboard, projector
Stage Teacher’s Activity and Language Students’ Activity and Language Interaction Skills Time
Warm-up Teacher checks homework and corrects the mistakes if necessary STS read their homework Sts-T Speaking 3’
Introduction to the topic T asks Sts to look at the pictures on page 64 and answer the questions at ex.1. Before the discussion starts, T explains the meaning of the word castaway = someone who is alone on an island after their ship has sunk
Reading for gist:
T asks Sts to read the article about the people in picture B and then answer the questions
1. Tom Hanks - in Cast Away
2. Loneliness/isolation, looking for food, no shelter, missing his family and friends, being frightened of dangerous animals, etc.
1. They are living on a Scottish island. They are staying there for a year as part of a television programme.
2. Tom Hanks was a real castaway, whereas the people in the TV show were taken to an island for a specific reason and length of time (so they are not real castaways)
Presentation of the new lesson
T explains that the text is divided into three paragraphs, each with a TOPIC SENTENCE - it states the main idea of the paragraph and it’s usually placed at the beginning. T asks Sts to work in pairs to find the topic sentence for each paragraph
Intensive reading activity:
T asks Sts to work in pairs for this exercise too and do the task at ex. 3. T also mentions that they need to justify their choices. Time allotted : 4’
Sts find the topic sentences:
Paragraph 1: in the year 2000, a television company did an experiment called Castaway 2000.
Paragraph 2: One of the “castaways” was Roger Stephenson.
Paragraph 3: Two other castaways were a couple, Dez and Liz.
Sts - sts
Conținut arhivă zip
- Plan de lectie - Money lesson.docx